Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Post Apocalyptic Buddhist Graffiti

Font size
This is a recent work and feels like my response to what is going on in the world.  With all the economic turmoil in the world this fall I felt the clamouring of people in so many places that "the sky is falling", people that normally seem unphased by things or usually hopeful.   It always seems to me that the dramatic and intense coverage of  issues by the media fuels so much fear in people  How much "news" is created to sell a paper, to get people to tune in to yet another newscast?  What is real, what is illusion?    Yet I am weirdly hopeful.  Some things need to fall away so they can make room for new more wholesome things.  Somehow it feels like that's what is happening.  Birth is not without it's trauma and dangers, a time of passage.

So the scrawl and colour tension in this painting express the angst I feel around me, the chaos and fear that is palpable.  The words on the canvas are hopeful words from the Dalai Lama's from a piece called "This Precious Life" which encourage us to work with our everyday lives: 

Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to have woken up.  I am alive.  I have a precious human life. I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others, to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings.  I am going to have kind thougths towards others.  I am not going to get angry or think badly about others.  I am going to benefit others as much as I can.

May 2009 bring great joy, happiness & health to you.  May it be a year rich with learning and life.  This is my wish for you.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment